Starting in the Fall 2015 semester, HSBC North America will be awarding scholarships to military spouses and veterans through the HSBC Military Scholarship. To qualify, students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree-seeking program at University of Maryland University College with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Scholarship recipients will receive $3,000—$1,500 for each semester—to cover a portion of their UMUC educational expenses.
UMUC and HSBC welcome applications from all qualified candidates. To qualify, students must:
- Be the legal spouse of an active-duty servicemember or activated Guard or Reserve member; or an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Be currently enrolled in 6 credits in an undergraduate degree-seeking program at UMUC, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
UMUC reserves the right to withhold funding if any of the required scholarship eligibility criteria is not met. Students may use the HSBC scholarship in addition to the Post-9/11 GI Bill®1 and other VA education benefits. However, UMUC reserves the right to make reductions to a scholarship award if it is determined the recipient is receiving additional financial aid that, when coupled with this scholarship, exceeds financial eligibility limits.
How to Apply
- Complete the FAFSA: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, known as the FAFSA, is required for most UMUC scholarships. When you apply for financial aid, you will automatically be pre-screened for scholarship eligibility. (See instructions on how to apply for financial aid at UMUC.)
- Wait for Notification: If you're eligible for a UMUC scholarship, you will be contacted. Students who have met the minimum GPA and credit requirements will receive an e-mail notifying them of scholarship eligibility via the "To Do" list in MyUMUC.
- Complete the UMUC Scholarship Application: You will be sent a link via the "To Do" list.
Please note that scholarship awards are based on funding availability. If you're notified that you're eligible, complete the scholarship application in MyUMUC as soon as possible.
1 GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.